The first model I’d like to propose simply asks each member of the discipleship group for their next goal in each of life’s key relational roles:
- Relationships with Jesus
- Relationship with Self (Physical Health, Moral Health, Finances, etc…)
- Relationships with Family
- Relationships in the Church
- Relationships in the Neighborhood, Workplace, etc…
Each week the group asks each other
- What is your goal in each area?
- How have you progressed with your goals?
- How can we help you reach your goals?
When a goal is achieved in one of the areas, a new goal is established by the individual. Group size, topics, and gender are left up to leaders to determine what aids the goal achievement process best. The roles & goals concept is developed at length in 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey.
Although investing personal responsibility is a desirable asset and end in itself, I’m hesitant about my first draft at a model in that there are so many universal goals God has established that the necessity of establishing your own goals is debatable. I’d rather encourage flexibility on how to reach the goals, not which goals should be achieved.
I’ve got another idea brewing that I’m more excited about… so hold onto your seats!