Dave Ferguson, co-author of On the Verge, does a chapter on “Nine Characteristics of Out of the Box Churches.”
- Beta, Not Better. Apple runs millions of internal tests to make sure it’s 100% perfect before releasing. Google releases a beta version, and revises according to response. Be a google church.
- Trusting and Trustworthy.
- Permission is Assumed, Forgiveness is Expected. This is an environment where people creatively go with their gut.
- Hurry Up… Wait. Verge churches collaborate at break neck speed to get the job done, but also follow a rhythm of solitude and reflection.
- Fail Forward Fast. An ethos that celebrates failure gives a back door out after risk taking. If you punish failure, you create cautiousness and status quo.
- Love the Edge.
- Put your money where your mouth is. Everybody talk values, verge churches resource them.
- Everyone gets to Play. Innovation isn’t a professionals-only thing.
- No R&D Departments. Pilot efforts are fine, but verge work has to be whole church work in time.